The Kenya National NMR Centre (KNMRC) based at the Department of Chemistry, University of Nairobi, Kenya, is hosting a hands-on NMR training workshop 31st July 2023 to 4th August 2023. This workshop is sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry/Pan African Chemistry Network and is aimed at enhancing the capabilities of Kenyan scientists in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopic techniques.
Applications are invited for the above training course from the following categories; researchers, lecturers, technicians, MSc students and PhD students in the chemical sciences from universities and research institutions across Africa (East and Central Africa region). The workshop is free, and the organisers will provide accommodation and food.
Application deadline is Saturday, April 15th 2023
The participants will be selected based upon the following selection criteria:
- All participants should have at least a HND or BSc (or equivalent) in the chemical sciences
- Participants can be MSc students, PhD students, lecturers, researchers, professors or technical staff.
- Demonstrable benefit of the workshop to research or teaching in your home institution
- Strong relevance of the training to your current or planned research or teaching area
- Potential impact of the training upon the individuals experiences and career prospects
- Immediate application of the techniques learnt.
- Benefit to home institution and the wider chemistry community in the country
To apply, you must:
- Complete the required online application Google form, by clicking here
- Upload your CV (maximum length of 2 pages) and a recommendation letter (for students only) in the Google form.
The workshop includes series of lectures in the morning, followed by group discussion and handson learning sessions where participants will get the opportunity to generate and process NMR data in the afternoon.
The training workshop will focus on the theoretical and practical aspect of the following among others:
1. Introduction to NMR Spectroscopy
2. Theory of NMR Spectroscopy
3. Applications of NMR
4. 1H NMR spectroscopy: Chemical Shifts and Spin-Spin Splitting
5. Applications of 1H NMR spectroscopy
6. 13C NMR spectroscopy - Chemical Shifts, DEPT, APT
7. Applications of 13C NMR spectroscopy
8. Introduction to two-dimensional NMR Spectroscopy
9. Applications of 2D NMR spectroscopy
10. Acquisition, Processing and Interpretations of NMR data
11. NMR in qualitative and quantitative analysis