The Kenya National NMR Center based at the Department of Chemistry, University of Nairobi, Kenya is hosting a hands-on NMR training workshop.
This workshop is sponsored by the Royal society of Chemistry,Pan African Chemistry Network and is aimed at enhancing the capabilities of Kenyan Scientist in Nuclear Mangentic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopic Techniques.
Applications are invited for the above training course; we welcome applications from researchers,
lecturers, technicians, MSc students and PhD students in the chemical sciences from universities
and research institutions across Kenya. The workshop is free, accommodation and food will be
provided by the organizers.
Application deadline is Friday September 2nd 2022.
The participants will be selected based upon the following selection criteria:
- All participants should have at least a HND or BSc (or equivalent) in the chemical sciences
- Participants can be MSc students, PhD students, lecturers, researchers, professors or Demonstrable benefit of the workshop to research or teaching in your home institution.
- Strong relevance of the training to your current or planned research or teaching area.
- Potential impact of the training upon the individuals experiences and career prospects
- Immediate application of the techniques learnt.
- Benefit to home institution and the wider chemistry community in the country
To apply, you must:
• Complete the required online application form, by clicking on this link
• E-mail your CV (maximum length of 2 pages) and a recommendation letter (for students
only) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The workshop includes series of lectures in the morning, followed by group discussion and hands-
on learning sessions where participants will get the opportunity to generate and process NMR data
in the afternoon.
The training workshop will focus on the theoretical and practical aspect of the following among
1. Introduction to NMR Spectroscopy
2. Theory of NMR Spectroscopy
3. Applications of NMR
4. 1 H NMR spectroscopy: Chemical Shifts and Spin-Spin Splitting
5. Applications of 1H NMR spectroscopy
C NMR spectroscopy - Chemical Shifts, DEPT, APT
7. Applications of 13 C NMR spectroscopy
8. Introduction to two-dimensional NMR Spectroscopy
9. Applications of 2D NMR spectroscopy
10. Acquisition, Processing and Interpretations of NMR data
11. NMR in qualitative and quantitative analysis