Hands on NMR Training Workshop
24 – 27 May 2022
Department of Chemistry, University of Nairobi, Kenya
The Kenyan National NMR Centre (KNMRC) based at the Department of Chemistry, University of Nairobi, Kenya, is hosting a hands-on NMR training workshop.
This workshop is sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry/Pan African Chemistry Network and is aimed at enhancing the capabilities of Kenyan scientists in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) techniques.
Applications are invited for the above training course; we welcome applications from researchers, lecturers, technicians, MSc students and PhD students in the chemical sciences from Universities and research institutions across Kenya. The workshop is free and local travel allowances (including all travel, accommodation and food) will be provided by the organizers.
Application deadline is Friday April 30th 2022.
- The participants will be selected based upon the agreed selection criteria:
- All participants should have a HND or BSc (or equivalent) in the chemical sciences
- Participants can be MSc students, PhD students, lecturers, researchers, professors or technical staff. A range of experience levels in each course is preferred.
- Demonstrable benefit to research or teaching in your home institution
- Strong relevance to your current or planned research or teaching area
- Potential impact upon the individuals experiences and career prospects
- Immediate application of the techniques learnt. Also, access to equipment in your home country will be considered
- Benefit to home institution and the wider chemistry community in your country
To apply, you must:
Complete the required online application form, by clicking on this link
- E-mail your CV (maximum length of 2 pages) and a recommendation letter (for students only) to email@example.com
The workshop includes series of lectures in the morning, followed by group discussion and hands-on learning sessions where participants will get the opportunity to generate and process NMR data in the afternoon.
The training workshop will focus on the theoretical and practical aspect of the following among others:
- Introduction to NMR Spectroscopy
- Theory of NMR Spectroscopy
- Applications of NMR
- 1H NMR spectroscopy: Chemical Shifts and Spin-Spin Splitting
- Applications of 1H NMR spectroscopy
- 13C NMR spectroscopy - Chemical Shifts, DEPT, APT
- Applications of 13C NMR spectroscopy
- Introduction to two-dimensional NMR Spectroscopy
- Applications of 2D NMR spectroscopy
- Acquisition, Processing and Interpretations of NMR data
- NMR in qualitative and quantitative analysis