Environmental chemistry is the study of the interaction between chemical substances and man and the environment. The aim of the degree program is to produce graduates who are well grounded in environmental science, project management and research skills.
Philosophy of the degree Programme
The philosophy of Master of Science in Environmental Chemistry degree programme is that students are facilitated by various instructional means and conducive environment to acquire advanced environmental chemistry knowledge and skills to enable them to succeed in their careers and to make local and global contributions in environmental chemistry and related fields.
Rationale of the Degree Programme
The expected role of the education sector is to equip learners with desired values, attitudes, knowledge, skills and competencies essential for productive employment. Vision 2030 has set wealth creation as one of its goals and targets the exploitation of available natural resources to spur development in agriculture, energy, water and health among other economic sectors. To contribute to the achievement of these aspirations, there is need for the university to offer relevant knowledge and hands-on training in form of practicals, projects and industrial linkages to enhance development of entrepreneurial skills.
This Master of Science in Environmental Chemistry degree programme responds to the goals of Vision 2030 by offering Environmental chemistry knowledge and skills that exploits natural resources in an environmentally sustainable way in order to drive the industrialization process. TThe programme has been formatted to comply with the Commission of University Education (CUE) guidelines for academic programmes.
At the end of the course, the graduate will be able to:
- Apply sustainability management tools.
- Sample, analyze, quantify baseline conditions and predict impacts of substance interaction between man and the environment, propose solutions and communicate the same to decision makers.
- Be conversant with local and international efforts aimed at mitigating key environmental challenges.
- Qualify for certification/registration by the regulatory authorities as environmental assessment experts without further training.
- Identify research gaps for sustainable environmental management at local and international levels
- Design and implement cutting-edge environmental projects that are relevant to industry and policy.
The course shall be covered in a minimum of four (4) semesters equivalent to two (2) academic years and maximum of eight (8) semesters of 15 weeks each.
Mode of Delivery of the Programme
The mode of delivery shall be either face-to-face and/or online and blended.
The face-to-face mode of delivery is given to students admitted in the full time program and shall consist of comprehensive coverage of the syllabus through lectures, tutorials, practicals, seminars, workshops and industrial visits for a semester (15 weeks).
The online mode of delivery is given to students admitted in the full time program and shall consist of comprehensive coverage of the syllabus through lectures, assignments, quizzes, tutorials, practicals, seminars, workshops using learning management systems (LMS) approved by Senate.
This mode combines the face to face leaning and online learning delivery methods.
Currently due to Covid 19 containment measures, all programmes are offered online through various Learning Management Platforms approved by the University of Nairobi Senate.
Click here to Apply now
For enquiries, kindly contact us via:
Tel: +254-772 459 087
The course shall be covered in a minimum of four (4) semesters equivalent to two (2) academic years to maximum of eight (8) semesters of 15 weeks each.
(i) The course shall be evaluated in terms of units; a course unit being defined as series of 45 one- hour lecture equivalents. For this purpose one 1-hour lecture is equivalent to one 2-hour tutorial or one 3-hour practical or any combination of these that may be recommended by the School Board and approved by Senate.
(ii) The course consists of coursework, continuous assessment, written examination and a research project. The continuous assessment shall comprise tests, assignments, practical in certain units and term papers.
(iii) In the first year of study, a candidate shall be required to take 10 course units; 9 of which shall be core and 1 elective.
(iv) In second year of study a candidate shall undertake a mandatory research and thesis equivalent to eight course units.
Credit Transfer and Exemptions
(i) A candidate may be exempted up to a maximum of one third of the taught courses , provided that these are from institutions recognized by Senate of the University of Nairobi.
(ii) Applicants seeking course exemptions shall send a formal application to the Director, Board of Postgraduate Studies through the Dean, school of Physical Sciences which should include justification of request, and attach evidence of relevant credentials in support of the request. The application shall be processed only after payment of the prescribed fees.
(iii) Applicants will only be exempted from a unit offered at a level which is equivalent to what is offered by the University of Nairobi.
Click here to Apply now
Application to join the programm
Submission of application to join the programme normally opens in April of every year. Students wishing to join the programme should submit their applications through University of Nairobi Online Portal.
Click here to Apply now
Schedule of Intakes
Intakes are in September every calendar year. Registration and admission for qualified applicants commences in August. For more Information on Registration & Admission please click here
Holders of the following shall be eligible for registration for a Master of Science Degree in Environmental chemistry;
- A degree of the University of Nairobi of at least Upper Second Class Honours in Chemistry or equivalent from any other institution recognized by the University.
- A degree of the University of Nairobi of at least Upper Second Class Honours in Chemistry combined with another science subject or equivalent from any other institution recognized by the University.
- A lower Second Class degree of the University of Nairobi in Chemistry or equivalent from any other institution recognized by the University plus at least two years relevant research/work experience
- A lower Second Class degree of the University of Nairobi in Chemistry combined with another science subject or equivalent from any other institution recognized by the University plus at least two years relevant research/work experience
- A pass degree of the University of Nairobi in Chemistry or equivalent from any other institution recognized by the University plus at least five years relevant research/work experience.
- A pass degree of the University of Nairobi in Chemistry combined with another science subject or equivalent from any other institution recognized by the University plus at least five years relevant research/work experience
Graduates find employment in various government departments, parastatals, local international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and intergovernmental bodies. Involved in environmental management, research and development. In industry, opportunities exist in product marketing, process control, quality assurance and product design. Opportunities also exist in the education sector.
Student attachment opportunities exist in establishments for students who undertake research to address problems that exist in those establishments
Fees and Funding
|MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY (I572)|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||TOTALS|
|Semester 1 -||Semester 2||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||5,000||0||5,000||0||10,000|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000||0||7,000||0||14,000|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000||0||2,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000||0||2,000||0||4,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250||2,250||2,250||2,250||9,000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000||0||5,000||0||10,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500||0||6,500||0||13,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000||0||0||5,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000||0||2,000|